Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Crazy, New Idea

I was driving down the street when all of a sudden a crazy, new idea popped into my head. Obviously, due to the recent economic crisis, our current system of doing thing is not working. I have a new idea. It will require massive support, but given the proper support, I think it just might work.

What if we gave the producers of goods and services the ability to actually own and control the means of production through some sort of private ownership entity? You'll have to follow my logic here.

Imagine you have an idea for a new product. Instead of asking the government to produce it for you; you could actually purchase a structure (building, land, house... whatever) that you would own yourself and make the new product - which you would own. You could then sell that product to other people! We'll call this new structure a "private business". Who knows, maybe you could even ask other people to give you money in exchange for a share in your business. We could call those people "investors". (Pardon the new terminology)

I think this could work. Of course, there would be pitfalls. What if people don't want to buy your product? We could always have the government force people to buy your product; like the way we do with carbon-credits and mortgage industries.

Oh, wait! I've got it! We could just let the business fail. After all, if people don't want it the way it is, why should they be force to dole out money in order to preserve it? That kind of undermines the "freedom" aspect of this crazy, new idea doesn't it? Also, allowing weak businesses to fail would actually strengthen the overall economy wouldn't it?

Now the only thing my idea needs is an appropriate title. What should I call it? It would work a lot like the current marketplace, only people would be free to choose what they purchase. Almost like a free-market... hey, I like that! Also, it seems to be capital focused, but I've always wanted an "ism" to call my very own. How does capital-ism sound? Well, I have to admit, it sounds a little weird, but we'll get used to it after a while. Let's try it out:


Free-market Capitalism.


Wow, I might be on to something here.

Let's call the President, the House of Representatives, and the Senate and tell them to give it a try. Who knows... it just might work.

No comments: